While there are many pages in Desk-Net most users focus on one or two of the following pages:
- Dashboard - overview of the most important information for one day
- Short-term planning - story lists for up to ten issues/days
- Tasks Page - events and appointments for up to ten days
- My Schedule - list of a user's personal appointments, absences, shifts and tasks
The Dashboard is the default homepage for new users.
You can ask Desk-Net to take you to any of the other pages instead of the Dashboard directly after logging in (go to the Settings page and change the "Desk-Net start page" setting).
About the Dashboard
Depending on your settings this page provides you with an overview of the most important information for any given day:
- Availability: Displays the absences of users as well as the shifts and roles with their assigned users.
- Notes: Displays text notes
- Events: A list of events and appointments such as a press conference. You can sort them in various ways by clicking on the "Sort by" link in the grey top bar.
- Story list/budget: Lists the stories of the next issue or day (depending on your type of publication platform such as online, print, etc.). This list can also be sorted in various ways by clicking on the "Sort by" link in the grey top bar (e.g. by Publication Time).
Some of the sections might be closed or hidden depending on your settings. Click on their labels to open them or go to the gear wheel in the upper right-hand corner of the screen to adjust the number and type of sections (e.g. you can hide the Events section).
The exact content of all these boxes depends on your settings in the white control panel area above them.
About the Short-term planning page
On this page you can find your story lists/budgets for up to ten days or issues.
You can choose if you want to have calendar days or issues displayed by clicking on the settings icon (gear wheel) in the upper right-hand corner.
- If you are working for an organisation with a daily publication schedule such as an online news portal, a newspaper, radio station etc. you may want to choose days.
- If you work for a magazine publisher or any other organisation that does not publish on a daily basis you should choose "Issues".
Please note that the Availability and Notes box will not be displayed if you choose Issues.
About the Tasks Page
For an overview of all the tasks entered in Desk-Net, see the Tasks page.
You can choose from a variety of filters to see the matching entries. Please note that the filter "time range" is only available if you sort the list according to "deadline".
About the My Schedule page
You will find all events appointments, tasks, and deadlines assigned to you in a single list on the My Schedule page. Your shifts and absences are also displayed.
Example: You are assigned to cover a press conference on one day, and the deadline to upload the content is on the next day. You will see one entry in your list for the event "press conference" today, and one entry tomorrow, to remind you of the deadline.
Please note that you can have your appointments automatically inserted into your online calendar (e.g. Outlook, iPhone, Android smartphone, etc. - learn more).
Next: 2. How to enter a story
Please sign in to leave a comment.