Large topics such as elections or the Olympics cannot be covered by one story or one event in Desk-Net. They comprise several, maybe even hundreds of entries.
The Topics feature in Desk-Net helps you manage such topics and all their related entries.
You can find the Topics page in the "Story Planning" section.
How topics aggregate multiple entries
Topics are based on the hashtag feature.
For every topic there is a hashtag such as #olympics14 (every hashtag must start with a #).
A topic groups all stories, events and other entries that feature such a hashtag in their description or notes field.
Topics can contain several hashtags and can thus be grouped under multiple topics.
Select " + Topic" in the central Add button at the top or go to the Topics page and click on the + icon in the upper right-hand corner.
Enter the following information:
- Label (e.g. "Winter Olympics 2014")
- Hashtag: Choose a telling hashtag that's easy to enter such as #olympics14. You do not need to enter a # here, because Desk-Net adds it automatically.
- Groups: Select the groups that should see the Topic (this Groups menu is not visible for accounts with just one Group).
All other entries are optional:
- Dates: If you are entering a topic such as the Olympics you may want to enter the start and end date. Current topics are sorted higher up in the topic list.
Entering a start or end date does not mean you cannot enter related entries prior to or after the topic's start or end.
- Color: You can choose from twelve different colors to get a more distinctive overview of your topics.
One month after the end date topics are automatically rendered inactive (see below).
- Responsible: Free text field that allows you to enter responsible persons, groups, teams, etc.
- Note: Enter any information that you deem relevant.
Entering stories, events and other entries related to a topic
You can enter stories and events just like any other story/event. Simply add the hashtag of a topic in the description or note field and the entry will automatically be associated with the topic.
There is even a slightly more comfortable way: Go to the Topics page and hover the mouse over a topic. A menu pops up which let's you add a new story or delete, edit or deactivate that topic. Ohterwise you could add a new story by klicking on the + symbol on the right side of the topic. You will get to the detailed entry page with the hashtag already set in the description field.
Viewing entries related to a topic
There are two possibilities for viewing all entries related to a topic:
- Click on a hashtag wherever you see it. If the hashtag is related to a topic the Timeline page will open in Topic mode listing all related entries.
- Go to the topic on the Topics page. When you move the cursor over a topic a menu pops up where you can edit, delete or deactivate it or add a new story to that topic. Also on the right side two icons pop up. You can add a new story by clicking on the + symbol or you can watch your topics on the "timeline" page by clicking on the eye symbol.
Different views of your topics
You can choose between two options, a list view (1) or a graphical view (2).
The graphical view makes sense if you, like in this example (WM 2018), have topics which have a time limit. You can choose to view this on a yearly, quarterly or monthly basis.
Active vs. inactive topics
In order to keep the Topics page clean you can de-activate a topic (hover with your mouse over a topic, then select the de-activation link). Topics with an end date are automatically de-activated one month after the end date.
In the white control panel area you can select to view active, in-active or all topics.
Inactive topics are clearly marked in grey and can be re-activated with a simple click on the "reactivation icon" on the right side after hovering the cursor over the topic.