Users can be added and edited by Desk-Net users with administration rights only.
Where to add/edit a user?
- Go to the user list at Admin > Users
- Click on "Add user" on the left above the user list.
Entering a user
You can quickly add a user with some basic information. By clicking on "More options" you can fine-tune a user's profile on an optional basis. These advanced options are described further below on this page.
- Type of user: Freelancers can only see their own assignments and are free of charge (unless the advanced option Restricted Access is de-activated manually by an admin - see below for more information).
- User works for: Select the group (e.g. department, desk, etc.) the user works for. This should also be done for freelancers.
Note: This menu is visible only to admins of an account that contains more than one group.
Save your entries and the new user will automatically receive an email with his login credentials.
- Screen name: Then screen name is displayed in story lists, event calendars, absences lists, etc. You can leave the pre-entered screen name (= last name) or choose another one (e.g. first name or the initials).
We recommend using a rather short screen name. That way the lists are slightly easier to read.
- Email client: Desk-Net sends out emails with event files in the ics format. Different email clients tend to interpret these in different ways. Select the appropriate client from the list. When in doubt stay with the default setting "Other software".
- Read-only access: Users with this setting can only read information, but not alter it. In the future we may implement certain features where we allow even users with such a setting to alter content (e.g. adding a comment to a story).
- Restricted access: Users with this setting active can only see their own assignments and other personal data. It is automatically activated for freelancers. Such freelancers with this setting turned on are free of charge and do not count against your user limit.
If this setting is de-activated manually by an admin this user is a paid for user and does count against your user limit.
- Comprehensive access: This menu is only visible to admins of accounts with more than one group. It allows you to remove access restrictions for users who are part of one or more group with restricted access to certain publication platforms.
Read more about this feature on this dedicated suppport page.
- Send login details: If this is active and you save a users profile he will receive an email that contains his login credentials. If you want to enter many users at one time and then send the login credentials later you may want to de-activate this setting.
- Note: This is an optional note that will appear in the email with the login credentials that the user receives. Please note that Desk-Net will automatically insert your name and company in that email.
- Save and add next: If you want to enter another user simply click on this button and you will be presented with a new empty user layer.
Editing a user
To edit a user profile click on his name on the User page.
You can freely edit all entries. Please note these aspects:
- When you switch a user type from Employee to Freelancer the setting Restricted Access will automatically be activated (and can be de-activated manually).
- If you want to send a new password to a user click on Send Login Details and then activate Generate New Password. Save your entries and the user receives his new password.
Please note: All users can edit profile data such as their name, screen name, contact data etc. themselves on the Settings page. No need for an admin to do it.
Users can also request a new password by clicking on Forgot Your Password on the login page.