Large topics such as elections or the Olympics cannot be covered by one story or one event in Desk-Net. They comprise several, maybe even hundreds of entries.
The Topics feature in Desk-Net helps you manage such topics and all their related entries.
You can find the Topics page in the "Story Planning" section.
How topics aggregate multiple entries
Topics are based on the hashtag feature.
For every topic there is a hashtag such as #olympics14 (every hashtag must start with a #).
A topic groups all stories, events and other entries that feature such a hashtag in their description or notes field.
Topics can contain several hashtags and can thus be grouped under multiple topics.
Select "New Topic" in the central Add button at the top or go to the Topics page and click on the + icon in the upper right-hand corner.
Enter the following information:
- Label (e.g. "Winter Olympics 2014")
- Hashtag: Choose a telling hashtag that's easy to enter such as #olympics14. You do not need to enter a # here, because Desk-Net adds it automatically.
- Groups: Select the groups that should see the Topic (this Groups menu is not visible for accounts with just one Group).
All other entries are optional:
- Dates: If you are entering a topic such as the Olympics you may want to enter the start and end date. Current topics are sorted higher up in the topic list.
Entering a start or end date does not mean you cannot enter related entries prior to or after the topic's start or end.
One month after the end date topics are automatically rendered inactive (see below).
- Responsible: Free text field that allows you to enter responsible persons, groups, teams, etc.
- Note: Enter any information that you deem relevant.
Entering stories, events and other entries related to a topic
You can enter stories and events just like any other story/event. Simply add the hashtag of a topic in the description or note field and the entry will automatically be associated with the topic.
There is even a slightly more comfortable way: Go to the Topics page. For every topic there is a small link Add story/event. Click on it. The usual entry mask opens. However, the topic's hashtag has already been pre-entered.
Viewing entries related to a topic
There are two possibilities for viewing all entries related to a topic:
- Click on a hashtag wherever you see it. If the hashtag is related to a topic the Timeline page will open in Topic mode listing all related entries.
- Go to the topic on the Topics page. There you see links that allow you to see all stories, all events or all entries for that topic (if you hover your mouse over the link you also get the option to just view previous or future entries).
Active vs. inactive topics
In order to keep the Topics page clean you can de-activate a topic (hover with your mouse over a topic, then select the de-activation link). Topics with an end date are automatically de-activated one month after the end date.
In the white control panel area you can select to view active, in-active or all topics.
Inactive topics are clearly marked and can be re-activated with a simple click.